Old 30-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Gregory Young

Default heat stroke and heat exhaustion

I don't fight with people any more on the balanced electrolyte issues/heat
issues. I will correct misinformation on the subject, but that's about it..
You can't convince people, if they are unwilling to have an open mind to
things.. I learned that long ago....
The last big fight I had concerning heat related issues was when I was
medical director for World Veteran's games, when it was held in Western New
York, in the early 90's.
I actually had to cancel an event (10K run), because of numerous cases of
heat exhaustion, and one case of heat stroke, occurring in the preceding
event.
They were preventable which really got my dander up. They occurred because
the American local organizers didn't listen to their medical team (myself, 2
RNs who were also EMTs and a large senior EMS crew).
We had told them the course was too long for the chosen terrain (it is
usually 5k over rough up and down terrain). Much of the course in Akron, NY
was in full sun another no-no. 10K is allowed according to the game's
rulebook, but it specifies open (level) terrain. The Akron course was a full
10K over very up and down terrain.
I told them that event needed to be over by 11am at the latest, due to the
high humidity we had been having all week, along with predicted high
temperatures. We had also asked for to have more water stations and portable
showers (they run through while continuing the race). They told us the
athlete's were well conditioned, but they would "consider" our request. It
never happened.
After the competitors starting collapsing like flies, I cancelled the rest
of that event (only the 10K not other events in the games), while my 2 Rn's
and I started I can't remember how many IV's in the field. I was told that
canceling an event like this had "never happened before', and that I was
causing an "international incident", but I was too busy to argue at that
point in time..
Fortunately after transporting a total of about 13 or so (memory fails me as
to the exact number, as we were able to check rectal temps, and administer
IVs allowing us to discharge a number directly from our field unit) to area
hospitals by ambulance, and the heat stroke by helicopter), all eventually
did well. All were released, although the heat stroke was hospitalized
longer... No residuals in any of them, which was quite remarkable in view of
the age group that was competing .. it was the 45 - 55 yr old women.. (the
subsequent 45 - 55 yr old men's event got cancelled, along with the 55+
women and the 55+ men events scheduled to follow the above).
It was always interesting to me, why they had older groups competing after
the younger ones (first group was the 35 -45 women, then the 35 - 35 men,
then the above groups). That never made any sense, as thermal regulation is
more efficient in younger people, so you would want older competitors to run
first, younger later..
The only thing that made me feel better was when the international judges
came by, they agreed with me on all the above points and blamed the local
organizing committee for the situation. I was off the hook, the EMS system
worked flawlessly, the victims of heat related injury ultimately did fine,
so all's well that ends well..
Greg

"zookeeper" wrote in message
Greg,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this information and
correction of earlier posts. My sons tend toward over-exertion (they're
teenagers, so no more!!) and can dehydrate quickly. We've fought a
sometimes losing battle in trying to convince them that water is more
important than an electrolyte beverage, as that is what their "friends"
drink (sometimes as a daily beverage!) It was good to see the
information on using 1/4 the amount of "gatorade" to 3/4 water.
--
zookeeper