Old 11-12-2002, 01:44 AM
Larry Caldwell

Default At ground zero of the Biscuit Fire

In article ,
writes:

I just got a circular in the mail from the UW Rural Technology program
(RTI). They've calculated that anyone growing DF above 24 inches
diameter is now paying a $100 to $150 penalty when they sell. This is
because remaining mills have retooled to small log/fast rotation fir.

Yeah, there has been a substantial large log penalty for about a year
now. Fortunately, Roseburg Forest Products will still take large logs at
its Glide mill. The large log mill at Dillard closed last year.

Tell me, do they calculate the penalty on DBH or on the scale end of the
log. I only have a few dozen trees that would be over 24" at the small
end of a 40' log, but damn, half of my whole inventory is over 24" dbh.

They saw a significan advantage for small Northwest timber growers to
switch to 40 year rotation Red Alder and Red Cedar. Small sized Df logs
are now a commodity which can't compete with world wide logs of similar
size. Alder and cedar have niche markets which insulate them from world
wide competion.

I'm running a foot race to retirement with the dollar. How prosperous an
old fart I will be depends on which one of us poops out first. Maybe I
should just log the place and let the little trees grow, then sell out
and move to the coast when I retire.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc