Old 03-02-2003, 10:00 PM
paghat

Default Free Akebia vine to a good home (or bad, I don't care)

In article 1044309323.561386@yasure, "Valkyrie" wrote:

I have an Akebia that's been growing in a tub for the past three years. It's
very happy and done beautifully. The last time I moved I had to whack it
down in full bloom and was really afraid I might have killed it but it came
back just fine. It's now growing up a four sided trellis I have stuck in the
tub. Perhaps someone with a balcony garden might want to give it a home.

I was in a serious accident that left me with very limited physical
capabilities. I was so depressed thinking that I wouldn't be gardening
anymore. For 30 years I have had HUGE, fabulous gardens that were my
passion. When I first moved into an apartment I just wept thinking that now
all I have is a little balcony for a damned ol' pot of geraniums, but I've
found that just about anything will grow in a tub or pot. I have bulbs,
iris, vines, perennials, trees and a box of herbs. It's amazing. So perhaps,
Brian, you may know of someone who thinks that the only garden they can have
is "a damned ol' pot of geraniums" and you could pass it on to them.

Val

So sad about the injury. I know women who garden intensely who're even in
wheelchairs, using extending-tongs to reach the ground when not just
laying out flat & dragging about. Seems to me the main concession is
tables in the garden to prepare from, & no really rough-stoned pathways,
but it's not like they had to ramp the whole place, they just needed
mountainbike wheels on their chair & no huge obstacles in the way. As I
get older & just normally stiff from age, I picture myself deteriorating
toward 90, someday dragging through the yard very happy because of
pain-killing opiates, tra-la-la'ing as I dig magic holes from which simple
plantings turn out to be quite fabulous thanks to perpetual hallucination.
If I ever had to be restricted to balcony gardening I suppose I'd adapt,
since people do adapt to much worse.

I'd be apt to toss the geraniums over the side though (unless my favorite
crane's-bills rather than those cruddy graveyard decorations).

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"