Old 13-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Mhagen

Default Stars Wars logging machine?

Larry Harrell wrote:
I just got a pic and a very short video clip of a new feller buncher
which has no wheels. It looks like a bug with six legs and a boom arm.
It also looks like it can handle steeper ground with no damage to
soils. This machine looks rather slow but is really cool to look at. I
don't think it has as many uses as a standard cut-to-length processor
and how would you get the logs off of that steeper ground?
(helicopter?)

I can email anyone a pic but the video is too dang huge for me to send
over the Internet.

Larry

Is this an old machine or a new one? We had a Spider working in this
area about twenty years ago. The description fits. It's basically a
back hoe frame and engine, with hydraulic legs and a cutting tool on an
arm. Very interesting to watch work on a steep slope. The actual name
was a "something" Superhoe. Made in Norway. The same rig was converted
afterward to a backhoe with thumb, two legs and drop down wheels, and
used for in-stream restoration jobs. It's in Grays Harbor county now.