Old 31-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Wendy Chatley Green

Default Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips)

For some inexplicable reasons, (Bill Oliver) wrote:

:This spring, a friend of mine came over and saw the tulips,
r what was left of them after the deer had their way. He
:said "You know, you really need to dig them up every couple
f years and replant them."
:
:I said, "No kidding," but thought "Wait a minute, these things
:are doing great. This sounds like a great case of fixing something
:that isn't broken."
:
:Then I read a little, and have seen this advice a couple of times.
:
:So....
:
o I really need to dig up a patch of tulips that has been going
:great guns for 15 years and replant them in the same place?
:
:Somehow that just doesn't seem right.

Tulips in central Georgia are annuals--people dig them up in
the fall, store them in the freezer, then replant them the next year
(according to my neighbor there, who said that she did this when she
was actively gardening.)

You're too far north for this, IIRC.

--
Wendy Chatley Green