Old 31-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Distendo

Default Big tree wanted - quickly... advice wanted even sooner! :-)

First grarden to call my own, so all-round ignorant, ok?

I want to replace a tree cut down long ago, leaving a conspicuous
space. It was probably a hawthorn of some kind.

I'd really like to plant an apple tree, or other such fruiting, but in
that space the garden needs a tree about 25 feet high, with a spread
of about 15 feet, and so I'm trying to find out about more rapidly
growing trees.

I believe a fruiting tree would take many years to get to that size
(I'm not necessarily after excellence in crop), so I'm afraid I'm
being impatient, but on the other hand, I don't want something naff
solely because it'll grow fast.

One other issue, I guess: it'll be positioned on the border of an area
we're going to turn over to growing veggies, etc. so don't want
something that sucks all the nutrition out of the soil over a wide
area.

If you can give me some clues, or the URL of some useful web pages,
that'd be most welcome. Oh, and this is a UK Midlands location.

Thanks!

(Apologies: also cross-posted to england.rec.gardening, before I found
this NG)