Old 31-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Winston Smith

Default Transpiration of water

On Fri, 30 May 2003 20:20:22 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

in article , Winston Smith at
wrote on 5/29/03 9:43 PM:

By the way, what does CF mean?

Bill

Conductivity Factor
http://www.atlantishydroponics.com/plantguide.html

*Conductivity factor* sounds like a useless term to me. Electrical
conductivity is a very specific term with a very specific meaning. Other
properties are inferred from electrical conductivity (EC). I have no idea
what *factor* is in that context.

Total dissolved solids (TDC) is one of them. There is no one to one
relationship between EC and TDC. The relationship is for a specific
combination of salts that is not likely to be encounteres. Acid, such as
sulfuric acid, adds to EC and will show up as an addition to TDS even though
no solid material is involved. EC measurement also provides opportunity for
error. An electrolyte and electrode system does not follow Ohm's law.

There is no substitute for understanding. Even pros fall into such traps.

Bill

I didn't say if it made sense or not. I answered the question what do
the letters mean.

I got hundreds of hits in the search engine, so a lot of people (and
equipment makers) use the term.

CF "may" have a specific meaning. It almost has to if you want to put
an answer on a display. It's often just a matter of regional/national
preference.

There is no substitute for a little research.