Old 31-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Jim Webster

Default Why the fear of GM Crops?

"David Kendra" wrote in message
.net...

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"Oz" wrote in message
Jerry writes

I hear and read that the European Union has safety concerns about
growing genetically modified crops and the food produced from them.
But I never hear details. So here is the question. What are the
SPECIFIC fears of the European Union in regard to genetically

modified
crops?

1) A paranoid population. (really)

2) A useful trade blocking mechanism.

3) they are introduced by American Companies

Actually several of the leading companies are European based, but the

major
US player, Monsanto, is who most people associate with regarding

agriculture
GE technology.

Dave

exactly.

If GM had been pioneered by ELF or some other French company, they would be
compulsory in the EU by now.

Jim Webster