Old 31-05-2003, 08:20 AM
John

Default Armadillo problems

How did this Armadillo post turn into a netiquette thread???

I posted the Armadillo question about a week ago.
Thanks to those who e-mailed me with their suggestions.
I feel obligated to give some back.

I did some digging around myself. (Pun intended)
Biologists seemed to think they are not particularly pests, of course.
They also suggested using worms in stocking as bait.
This way, you can attract Armadillos with the sweet scent of worms without
allowing worms to escape. I haven't tried it, but it came from an
university web site. It also said Armadillos are NOT territorial. They
move around. I haven't seen my guests for several days.
The expert said trapping is only a very temporary solution, as other
Armadillos may move in to the vacancy. The only known permanent solution is
to have a physical barrier (fence) that go at least a foot INTO the ground.
Good luck.

"Red" wrote in message
y.com...
I noticed the other day someone mentioned trapping Armadillo. I would like
to do that and relocate them to some other area. I have a couple Havahart
traps but can't seem to get them to cooperate. Any ideas on what to use for
bait. I have tried rotten fruit, old pieces of meat, and cat food as
suggested on the Havahart web site. Also used a couple of boards to create
a "funnel" effect. A couple weeks ago I put out some beneficial nematodes to
take care of the grubs. All with no success. I can live with them in the
grass but they are totally destroying the beds especially the newly
established ones.