Old 31-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Tomato transplants--snip the branches too low to the ground?

DigitalVinyl said:

I deep planted my tomato transplants, about an extra 4 inches. this
left one to two sizeable branches (the largest on one of 'em) running
close or against the ground.

SHould I cut these off?

I don't cut off any healthy foliage on transplants, and only prune side shoots
on staked tomatoes.

Put some clean mulch under the plants if you are worried. Chopped straw on
newspaper, dried grass clippings, or (what really seems to make my tomatoes
happy) shredded leaves mixed with cocoashells and coffeegrounds.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)