Old 31-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default foiling the squash vine borer

Julia Altshuler said:

I'm so pleased with myself that I'm ready to plunge into more squashes. Is
there a winter variety that's especially resistent to borers? I might try some
of them too.

Butternut squash (Cucurbita moschata) and cushaws (C. mixta) are resistant to
borer damage. My favorite winter squash is a hybrid between two species, a
butternut crossed with a buttercup (C. maxima). The variety is called 'Tetsukabuto'
and is available from Pinetree Garden Seeds (http://www.superseeds.com --
in the catalog section with Asian vegetables). 'Tetsukabuto' has a fruit with the
sweet, smooth texture of a buttercup but the solid, borer-resistant vines and
productivity of a butternut. 'Tetsukabuto' must be grown along with either a
butternut/moschata or a butternut/maxima variety for good fruit set.

The C. moschata varieties include the long-necked types called butternuts and
large, flattened rounded types called 'cheeses' because they actually look like
a wheel of cheese. Years ago I grew a cylindrical type but I haven't seen that
one in a catalog for years.

The winter squashes most vulnerable to vine borers are the C. maxima types
(which include buttercup, hubbard, banana, 'giant' pumpkins) and the C. pepo
types (whoch include 'true' pumpkins, acorn, delicata, and summer squashes).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)