Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Frogleg

Default Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips)

On 30 May 2003 16:59:53 GMT, (Bill Oliver) wrote:

In article ,
Frogleg wrote:

[snip]
... Daffodils, OTOH, will have
fewer blooms as they multiply in place, and are invigorated by being
dug up, divided, and replanted. However, this is clearly visible in
the spring when you have a fine crop of dense foliage and 1 or 2
blooms.

Hmmm... Actually, now that you mention it, there is also a bunch
of daffodils along the fence that are just like that -- they are
as thick as weeds, but have *relatively* few blooms (though because
they are so dense, there are a fair number).

I tried to dig some up in the back end of my garden/lawn that were in
the middle of a bunch of tree roots and not producing many blooms.
Finally gave up and decided they could wait for squirrels to
delicately extract them. :-) My record for a single daffodil in situ
was 27 bulbs! Of course, many were teensy ones it'd take a couple of
years to bloom, but at least a dozen were good sized. I've also had
"all" the bulbs cleared (not on purpose, but as a side-effect of new
landscaping) from an area and had many more blooms than previously in
the same area. Crocus seem to like being stirred up.