Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
paghat

Default Transplanting large azaleas

In article , wrote:

I'm in Florida (zone 9b) and have bought a house with large azaleas on
the north side of the house. They almost fill the space between the
garage and the neighbor's fence, are 5' tall, and densely grown.

No one can see them bloom (the neighbor never opens his window shades)
and I would rather move them than prune them enough to be able to move
my trash can and wheelbarrow past them. There's a good spot at the
east side of the yard with shade and space to grow.

Any suggestions on the best way/time to move them?

They have surprisingly shallow roots & are among the most transplantable
of all shrubs. To move them, use a spade to cut around the dripline of a
shrub; sometimes that will be deep enough to pry the shallow roots up. If
the roots go deeper, you have to "trench" around the dripline. Have the
hole already dug to move each shrub to so the roots aren't long out of the
ground; if you can't replant them immediately, pack the root in wet
small-grade woodchips or shavings & don't let them dry out. Replant in a
very wide hole & if it's at all practical build a little "hump" for each
shrub so that it'll have great drainage, & enrich the soil greatly with
compost, & feed vitamin B which relieves root-shock. Keep the transplanted
shrub evenly moist in well drained soil throughout the coming summer,
they'll be especially sensitive to dryness for a while. Don't prune much
if at all; large deciduous azaleas with good limb form do not quickly
regain the limb form if you cut them back, & some never regain good form.
(Small evergreen azaleas do regain their appearance after a pruning, but
mature deciduous ones, the least possible pruning is best.)

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/