Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
K30a

Default Wildlife and ponds

Hi Maxixe,

Keeping a pond for wildlife is a really wonderful thing to do.

The absolutely best book to read about your kind of pond is
Earth Pond Sourcebook
by Tim Matson

Poor snappers, they are not popular. Especially if you step on one when wading.
They like to hang out in the shallows and wait for a meal to come by.
You might keep a count of the goslings... the snapper will eat them.

I don't think the animals are responsible for any problems in a two acre pond.
If you think your pond is polluted I would call your county extension agent.
They can come out, take a look and give you recommendations. A pond with algae
is not a problem in and of itself. But a pond that is choking on algae and full
of dead critters has a problem. Doesn't sound like you are at that stage.

k30a