Old 31-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Tim Tyler

Default Okra seed germination

Nick Maclaren wrote:
: Little Badger wrote:
:"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
: Little Badger wrote:

: : Bought some Okra seeds yesterday and planted them in a
: : heated propagator (22 Deg C)
:
: : This morning all four seeds had germinated!
:
: Congratulations.
:
: Anyone know if you can grow seeds fresh out of Okra pods?
:
:Try it and see!

: It's scarcely worth the bother, actually. Okra sold as a vegetable
: is very unripe.

I've heard that Okra "reach 6 to 9 inches long, but are best harvested at
2-3 inches in length". Those are the fruit, of course.

: All of mine succumbed to fungus/whatever during the cold spell that
: followed their germination. I lost a lot of subtropicals, and most
: of the others are only now beginning to recover - some probably
: won't.

Hmm - thanks for the advice.

A pity - I was looking forward to trying growing them - now that I
have found some seeds for sale.

Knowing me, I'll probably give it a go anyway ;-)
--