Old 31-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Distendo

Default Big tree wanted - quickly... advice wanted even sooner! :-)

Hello Anton,

I appreciate your replying, and your recommendations.

I'll be checking out what you and Kay (above) suggested...

Thank you very much!

On Sat, 31 May 2003 08:01:06 +0000 (UTC), "anton"
wrote:

Distendo wrote in message ...
First grarden to call my own, so all-round ignorant, ok?

I want to replace a tree cut down long ago, leaving a conspicuous
space. It was probably a hawthorn of some kind.

I'd really like to plant an apple tree, or other such fruiting, but in
that space the garden needs a tree about 25 feet high, with a spread
of about 15 feet, and so I'm trying to find out about more rapidly
growing trees.

I believe a fruiting tree would take many years to get to that size
(I'm not necessarily after excellence in crop), so I'm afraid I'm
being impatient, but on the other hand, I don't want something naff
solely because it'll grow fast.

An apple tree on the right rootstock grows fast and
will reach the sort of size that you are looking for. You can also
plant a pear on a pyrus rootstock which would also grow
v fast, but that would end up being too big. I've got a plum tree
that big too, though I'm not sure whether cherries are available that go
that big.

A lot of the plum family grow fast- e.g 'Blaze' prunus
****ardi negra? has a range of leaf colours from bronzed
green to purple, blossom in March and gives little cherry- like fruit.

For serious speed, of course, you can't beat a eucalyptus.
They do have their own rather definite aura, and don't fit
into all garden shcemes by any means.

One other issue, I guess: it'll be positioned on the border of an area
we're going to turn over to growing veggies, etc. so don't want
something that sucks all the nutrition out of the soil over a wide
area.

Any 25ft high tree is going to have roots extending over roughly
a similar diameter. Dryness can be an issue, depending on
your local rainfall; shade might be an issue depending on which side of the
veg patch the tree is; leaf-fall from pines might
acidify the soil..

If you can give me some clues, or the URL of some useful web pages,
that'd be most welcome. Oh, and this is a UK Midlands location.

You're also by defining ht as 25ft and spread as 15ft looking
for a somewhat conical or columnar tree. Fruit trees can be trained in the
shape you want- others are more difficult so
don't go and buy a great white cherry, for instance.