Old 31-05-2003, 10:32 PM
SugarChile

Default Ground Hog

Trapping or shooting are the only sure fire ways. I used to have a dog that
would catch and kill them, but dogs like that are hard to come by. You can
fence the garden. You can use repellents, like cayenne pepper or commercial
hot pepper wax, on the young tender growth of the plants they favor, but
that's not always completely effective. You can bribe them, leaving goodies
like melon rinds and corn cobs on the edge of the compost pile, and hope
they are satisfied enough to leave the garden alone. It doesn't do much
good to fill in the mouth of their burrows, or pour/toss offensive stuff
down there, as they usually have more than one entrance/exit.

For my own groundhog, I'm using a combination of cayenne pepper, sending the
dog to chase him when I see him (she's a lab; good at chasing, not good at
killing) and compost heap bribery. We seem to have reached a truce, but
that doesn't mean I won't wake up one morning and find my bean seedlings
gone. We're in the suburbs, so shooting is out, and I'm not angry enough
for fencing or trapping...yet. Plus, if I get rid of this one, another will
soon come to take it's place, so I'll take the devil I know over the devil I
don't.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, Southcentral PA
"joy2wrld" wrote in message
Any suggestions on how to get rid of a ground hog? Thanks in advance.

Joy