Old 31-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Colin Malsingh

Default Okra seed germination

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
Little Badger wrote:

: Bought some Okra seeds yesterday and planted them in a
: heated propagator (22 Deg C)

: This morning all four seeds had germinated!

Good luck. Probably stating the obvious but they'll do best in a
greenhouse.

I bought some seeds back from the West Indies a couple of years ago
and had no trouble germinating them. The plants even grew to 4 foot
plus, behind glass.

In the meantime, I asked for advice in a US-based newsgroup. When they
found out where I was trying to grow them (UK) they fell about
laughing.

After that, I was determined to succeed, just to show them. I got
several beautiful flowers and about 2 Okra fruit in total...

However, I tell myself that I'd imported seeds of a strain that
wouldn't normally grow under our conditions. This year I have bought
plants from a UK supplier and they are currently about 8 inches tall
with 3 leaves each, in my greenhouse.

Good luck to everyone who's trying!

Colin
-----