Old 01-06-2003, 04:32 AM
John S. DeBoo

Default curing garlic

jc wrote:

" wrote in message
news:ACNBa.41194$hd6.2674@fed1read05...
Harvested my garlic today. How long do I let it sit out to dry?
Thanks,
Roz
phx,az

Keep it in the shade. These 108-110 deg days are a bit warm. While the
relative humidity continues to be under 10 percent and the 10-30 knot
breezes from the southwest continue, two weeks is long enough. But make
sure it passes the no sniff test. The outer skin should be dry enough
so you can't smell the garlic unless you break the skin.

Olin
Phx, AZ

Newbie garlic grower question:
When is garlic ready to be harvested in the first place? I read
somewhere(?) to let the stalks turn brown and dry, then pluck the garlic
from the ground. You just covered the drying process-thanx. I'm doing some
(first time) this year and the plants are growing faster than weeds. FWIW
I'm E of you in Abq.

--
John S. DeBoo