Old 01-06-2003, 08:08 AM
David Hill

Default Pigeons

Pigeons are certainly selective in their feeding.
When I was market gardening we used to grow a number of varieties of winter
cabbage, Hard white, pickling, Savoy, January King, and a couple of other
varieties.
We planted 4 rows to a bed by machine, 1 & 3 down and 2 & 4 on the way back,
so when we finished one variety we just started the next so the varieties
were mixed, and not in fixed blocks.
We found the pigeons would start with January king and go for all those
before moving on to their next choice.
the last to be eaten was the hard white.
I wish I could grow cabbage,etc here, but I have a neighbour who had
Fantail'. which have crossed with wild pigeons, so are not saleable, the
flock is now over 60 strong,and these live less than 200 yds from me.
I have grown Kohlrabi and they don't go for that.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries