Old 01-06-2003, 08:20 AM
lms

Default Question about pruning roses

In article ,
says...

Long Tall Sally could be the third. Virused POS I think. Why get an
imitation Sally Holmes? What was I thinking?

Sally Holmes is a climber, I believe. Long Tall Sally is a fat, vigorous,
attractive bush, albeit with "nontypical" blooms. I had several, although I
am not fond of white roses (except the vanilla scented Full Sail!), but a
black cane dieback tore through one grouping of container roses, taking out
all but one in a matter of a few days.

ahh, it's all rich.
Your black cane dieback and your nontypical are both entertaining if not
exactly clear. I've never heard of a black cane dieback. Which of your
weapons do you reckon caused this sudden sweeping black cane dieback?
hahahaha

Sally Holmes is a rose which defies classification, I've seen it called a
floribunda and a shrub, and it's infact half hybrid musk.
Sally's never shown any propensity to sky, has just shown major abilities to
do the big spread here. The term 'climber' doesn't really specify which
direction so I guess you could call it a climber if you were real hard up.
Sally Holmes was named for Robert Holmes' lady. I wonder what he would think
of a Long Tall Sally? I'm thinking he'd have to like it.
I guess LTS goes under the category Names That Want To Convey Something Without
Having To Start From Scratch. Like Mildewfree Else Poulsen kinda.

Full Sail--being a sport of New Zealand, I am now of the opinion that
New Zealand grows well in New Zealand but I know it doesn't grow well in New
Mexico, and I've heard this widely about other places. If you look at
helpmefind.com, for instance, it says in Big Bold Black letters, needs winter
protection where temps drop below freezing. That includes mosta North America.
I grew 2 New Zealands before I gave up 2nd year into the 2nd. I could tell the
second was going to be just like the first. Sadly.