Old 01-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Oz

Default Why the fear of GM Crops?

Gordon Couger writes

No till is not likely to be a big an advantage to the high rainfall and cool
temperatures of the UK an the EU as it is in the hotter dryer parts of the
world.

In 1976 (and for several years afterwards) I no-tilled my entire farm.
We used paraquat in those days but we were able to burn the straw.

Grassweeds became a major problem, and they still are.

Blackgrass (mysuroides something-or-other) is now resistant to dimfops
over much of the UK, with wild oat following on behind.

Personally I would expect a roundup-resistant blackgrass to be found
within a few years of a RR wheat being introduced.

So in the UK (particularly) weeds are still the major problem.
Remember weeds can and do germinate at any time during the year due to
our rainfall pattern.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.