Old 01-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Denise

Default Koi

Hi Matt,

I live upstate NY too. I have a small preform pond (about 65 gallons)
with three koi (one is new butterfly) in it and since it's not deep
enough, they do enjoy their winters inside a 55 gallon tank. I do
regular water changes and make sure the water quality is good so no
problems. It's also wonderful to see their colors so clearly under tank
lights :-)

I have friends nearby who do have year round pond with over 25 koi. It's
5 foot at it's deepest and they keep a hole in the ice to make sure
gasses can get out and the fish do well. This past winter was very hard
because of all the snow they had to keep cleaning off. Much easier to
keep a year round pond in a warmer climate.

Here is a page that is very helpful. I never bought anything from this
company but have been getting their newsletter which is full of info.
and they do respond to any questions very quickly.

http://www.pondsolutions.com/

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc