Old 01-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Chris

Default Koi

If you want to overwinter the fish you need to find out what the frost depth
is during the winter where you live and dig below that so the water will not
freeze up at the bottom. You wil also need to supply a way for the fish to
get air during the winter.
"Matt" wrote in message
My daughter is very interested in raising koi. We live in the Northeast
(Upstate NY) and are trying to decide what we need to raise koi.

We are thinking of buying an aquarium and starting there as we will need

one
anyway to over winter them. What would be the min aquarium size to make

sure
that we can keep two koi happy and healthy year round?

We have looked at pre made ponds, but they are only about 18 inches deep

and
we have been looking into making a pond using a pond liners. My question

is
what is a safe depth and what is the min size in gallons to raise two koi,
ones that we would like to grow to 10 to 12 inches in the northeast where
they can over winter in the pond?

Also, I could use some good info links

Thank you for your time.