Old 01-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Drakanthus

Default Spinach spikes

Growing spinach for the first time this year, and the plants are doing
well. In the last couple of days, the plants have started to develop
small spikes which I presume will be flowers. Someone suggested to me
that this might be a bad thing ie that I should remove the spikes. Is
this correct?

Thanks, Will

If the spinach is running to seed it is a lost cause. Sounds like you
haven't been watering it well enough / often enough. I'd plant some more. If
you allow spinach to dry out too much, it thinks it is going to die, so it
quickly goes into flowering mode before it dies.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)