Old 01-06-2003, 02:32 PM
len

Default Protecting blueberry bushes from birds

"B. Joshua Rosen" wrote in message
news
Any suggestions for protecting blueberry bushes from birds? Last year I
covered them with a net but it's rather unsightly and It's not clear that
it did any good (I had fewer berries last year then the year before when
I didn't do anything except rely on my cat to keep the birds away).

Seriously, plant a fig tree, if you can. We have had blueberries, for 11
years, we usually have more than we can use. But one year, our fig tree
failed to produce. It was hard to get enough berries to make one pie. Maybe
a net would work, but nothing we tried worked. And birds have all day to
strip your plant. Figs and blueberries come at about the same time, here and
the birds seem to prefer the figs. Which is alright with us, we still have
enough.
You should know that blueberries are a long term project. what i am
suggesting, is really not that far fetched. Another thing to consider, when
you raise fruit over the years, you are supporting wildlife of all sorts,
especially if hardly any of your neighbors are.
This is just our experiance. Best of luck. Len