Old 01-06-2003, 02:44 PM
lms

Default Blackspot on roses near tree

In article kPPBa.1038545$3D1.607580@sccrnsc01,
says...

Does being near or under a tree make blackspot worse?

just for lack of sun, yes, absolutely, without a doubt.
I grow R. foetida (yes Mabel, my former garden Showpiece and Cornerstone
still has one blooming cane) and R. foetida bicolor, both of which are the
A-#1 poster children for blackspot, it's where all the spot comes from in
Hybrid Teas, etc, matter of fact.
R. foetida, full sun 24 hours a day; R. foetida bicolor, a considerable amount
of shade. In more than a dozen years I'v never seen blackspot to *any degree
on Foetida, but Foetida bicolor jumps at every opportunity.