Old 01-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Heather

Default Pond in the Shade

We also live in Zone 5 - SW Ontario - and put in a pond last year. We live
smack in the middle of woods. I have conned the DH to cut down a few trees
in strtegis positions to let in some light. Even with that we had algae
problems and had to install a UV filter. The water is so clear now -- the
difference was visable in two days. Great investment. We don't know yet
how our plants will respond. They haven't done much yet. I really don't
know if it is becuase it has been so cold this spring or the lack of
sunlight. The fish however, are growing like crazy and the water temp is
still hovering at about 55F.

We have a boggy area back in the woods and have transplanted some native
stuff. It is doing really well in the bog. Better than the nursery bought
stock. If you have a friend who lives in the woods you might want to try
that.

Heather

'
"Doug Swetland" wrote in message
Phil wrote:

Hi,

I want a pond badly but the only spot I have gets about 3-4 hours of
sun per day and there is a large maple tree which will cover most of
the pond area. I know that falling debris (I'm prepared to net the
pond during the appropriate seasons) from trees and the limited
aquatic plant selection will be a problem but are there any other
problems that may arise with a pond in the shade? Will fish/koi be
happy? Algae problems? Any real important plants that are needed which
won't live in such conditions?

Does anyone have a pond in a shaded area?

Is this a pipe dream or a possibility?

Thanks Phil

ps. I'm in zone 5 Northern NJ.

Phil,

I have a heavily shaded pond in Minnesota that gets almost no direct
sunlight. It is dug into the side of a hill so the lower side is built
up with those mortar-less landscaping blocks. This allows me an upper
falls dropping into the main pond of 1500 gallons and then a lower falls
(over the block wall) into a 250 gallon covered reservoir that holds the
pump (4000 gallons per hour).

As the water falls into the reservoir it is screened by a 2' X 2' window
screen. This acts as a heavy-duty skimmer and keeps the pond clear of
most floating debris. In the spring I get seeds from the trees (elm,
maple and oak) and in the fall I get the leaves and acorns. I have to
clear the screen manually several times a day during the peak "dropping
periods".

You may not be able to keep up with the debris by netting manually if
you work or take vacations. You'll also spend more time cleaning the
pond in the fall. The debris will build up and cause "gas" problems over
the winter if you don't keep things clean.

Most conventional pond plants don't do well in the shade. I have
managed a few lilly pad blooms over the years, but it is a struggle as
our growing season is pretty short. I usually put some impatiens and
other shade loving flowers in gravel pots lowered into the water. They
look great by fall.

The good news is that algae isn't a problem. Enough grows to keep the
fish happy. Occasionally a sleeping fish will go over the lower falls
and spend the day in the window screen. Sometimes they survive the
experience, sometimes they don't.

I'd recommend figuring out some kind of automatic skimmer/screening
system. You'd be surprised how much stuff falls from trees. But don't
let a little shade or debris stop you from enjoying a pond.

Good luck.

Doug