Old 01-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Timothy

Default Ground Hog

On Sat, 31 May 2003 15:57:51 -0400, joy2wrld wrote:

Any suggestions on how to get rid of a ground hog? Thanks in advance.

Joy

As a kid growing up in the ohio valley, we would make a few dollars in the
summers by clearing out pastures of ground hogs. We would use a .22 and a
scope, but seeing we got paid by the head instead of the hour we had to
figure out a faster way. In the end we used cable wire snare traps that
would be placed at the hole's entrance at night to ensure that they were
home. When they woke and left their holes, they would get their heads
stuck as they climbed out and they would die shortly after.
Beyound killing the hogs there are really few optinions. Poisons are
really not a great idea due to the fact that the hog will die full of
poison and it's very likely some other animal (dogs and the like) will
find the dead hog and eat it, hence poisoning themselves also. If killing
it dosn't work for you, you could always plant a nice garden of greens
near his hole for him. He should spend more time eating whats close to him
rather than treak all the way to your garden.
Good luck with the hog.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington