Old 01-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Steve Calvin

Default curing garlic

John S. DeBoo wrote:
snip

Newbie garlic grower question:
When is garlic ready to be harvested in the first place? I read
somewhere(?) to let the stalks turn brown and dry, then pluck the garlic
from the ground. You just covered the drying process-thanx. I'm doing some
(first time) this year and the plants are growing faster than weeds. FWIW
I'm E of you in Abq.

--
John S. DeBoo

I'm "assuming" that you planted last October. The plants will begin to
try to flower. You'll see a round sprout out of the center of the
plant and a bulb will attempt to form at the end. These are called
scapes. (no clue why). Cut those suckers and use them for salads,
cooking or whatever. Then the plant will put it's energy into bulb
development vs. flowering.

After that, I'd say mid-July depending on the weather the plants will
begin to die and turn brown. I usually wait until most of the top is
brown and the lower end beginning to turn and then harvest. Hose them
off to get the dirt off and hang them bulb side down in a cool dry
place. I hang it for probably two or three weeks. Then I cut the stalk
off and the hanging roots (being careful not to cut into the bulb).
Viola, garlic. Then store in a cool, dark place with good air flow and
enjoy.

--
Steve