Old 01-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Spinach spikes

In article ,
Alan Gould wrote:
... Take off the spikes as they show and you can
extend the cropping life of the plant/s, but eventually nature will have
its way and your spinach will go to seed. You may have started your
spinach seed too early. If you manage your spinach carefully by sowing
seed late in each spring, you can have fresh green leaves all year
round. ...

Well, I have never succeeded. As the weather warms up and the air
becomes drier, the plant will stop putting out large, fleshy leaves,
whether you remove its flower spikes or no. And I have found that,
in dryish years, sowing late merely means that the spinach bolts
before it is large enough to be worth picking :-(

If you can succeed in a dryish year on sandy soil in the east, please
tell us how!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.