Old 01-06-2003, 07:44 PM
AWM

Default gravel

"Dee" wrote in message
I need to gravel over a lawn at the front of the house. Do I have to

remove
the turf or can I just cover with weed inhibitor material and then tip the
gravel on?
thanks for any advice

Depends on what you want to do with it - for just low maintenance kill the
weeds with glycophosate type weed killer, follow up with sodium chlorate
type about 3 weeks later then, level the area (a thin layer of sand helps
with this), cover it with a weed proof porus membrane or even better just
old carpet, ---- you can use polyethene but you will need to leave big
drainage gaps or slope it to allow run off to avoid it becoming a pond.
The weed proof membrane also allows you to get away with less gravel.

On some of my ground I have used an old painter disposable dust sheet
covered by forrest bark its worked a treat for 3 years now on other paths I
have old carpet under red chips.

However if by chance you want to run a car on to it you need 2 to 3 inches
of compacted "Type 2" hard core below the gravel particularly on a clay or
lght sandy soil..