Old 01-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Alan

Default Time to take on the local authorites about cats.

I reckon this is the subsection that would cover it. However, I also
understand that under the Animals Act 1971 cats cannot be held guilty of
trespass and the owners cannot be held responsible for any damage done:
http://www.cathate.co.uk/thelaw.htm and
http://www.cats-inverurie.co.uk/News/gardens.htm

Personally, I think we need a nationwide campaign to change the law to make
all cat owners take responsibility for their animals

79.... the following matters constitute "statutory nuisances" for the
purposes of this Part, that is to say-
(a) any premises in such a state as to be prejudicial to health or a
nuisance;
(b) smoke emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a
nuisance;
(c) fumes or gases emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health
or a nuisance;
(d) any dust, steam, smell or other effluvia arising on industrial, trade
or business premises and being prejudicial to health or a nuisance;
(e) any accumulation or deposit which is prejudicial to health or a
nuisance;
(f) any animal kept in such a place or manner as to be prejudicial to
health or a nuisance;
(g) noise emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a
nuisance;
(h) any other matter declared by any enactment to be a statutory nuisance;
and it shall be the duty of every local authority to cause its area to be
inspected from time to time to detect any statutory nuisances which ought to
be dealt with under section 80 below and, where a complaint of a statutory
nuisance is made to it by a person living within its area, to take such
steps as are reasonably practicable to investigate the complaint.

"MC" wrote in message
OK folks - the law.
(This post only applies tio the UK)

If a cat is continually fouling in your garden and you can smell or, God
forbid, come in contact with it, it becomes a statutory nuisance under
Environmental Protection Act of 1990 and the local authority can take
action. Thus, the cat has become a health hazard under the said act and,
also, under the Public Health Act 1936.

The more complaints that are made to the local authorities (and your local
councillors) the sooner cat owners can be made accountable for their cats
filth. Remember to quote the Environmental protection Act 1990 and the
Public Health act 1936.

MC
The war has begun.