Old 01-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Debbie

Default Smelliest plant ever

"Jo Ling" wrote in message ...
This following a quick search for "arum", "lily" and "rotting" on Google:

The dead horse arum lily, Helicodiceros muscivorus, is a rather attractive
brown flower found on Corsica and other small islands in the Mediterranean.
The flower opens for two days, on the first of which it releases an
extremely foul odour reminiscent of rotting meat.

I did a similar thing myself, but I was in the privileged position of
having seen what I was talking about. The main searches brought back a
titan arum, which it certainly isn't, but my, what an impressive
plant! :-)

It is, in fact, I believe an Arum dioscoridis: pic at the following:

http://www.aroid.org/genera/arum/dioscoridis/

You would simply not believe how completely and utterly disgusting
this plant smells.

Ta anyway,

Debbie