View Single Post
  #21   Report Post  
Old 02-06-2003, 12:20 AM

Default garden police gone wild?

the problem is there is no end of laws or people who want to pass laws to govern
peoples bad behavior. they are the control freaks of the world who WANT the power to
pass more and more laws. and frankly, it is the local laws that make people's lives
miserable. because nobody including the judges, etc. know MOST of the laws. So the
reality is most of these laws are never enforced MOST of the time. then some poor
schmuck puts a foot wrong, some cop or control freak neighbor digs into the laws and
finds something to get the schmuck in trouble. this happened with my mothers fence.
the bitch next door dug up some damn law we never heard of about no wire fences. the
city law is such that if my mother had not taken the fence down she would be fined
$1000 dollars a day. so never mind there are all kinds of fence violations .. the
only time it gets enforced is if somebody wants to make life miserable for another
person. well we took the wire fence down (it was such fine gauge you stand back 3
feet couldnt even see it!) and put up one UGGGGGLY green wood fence that met "code".
Of course she was out there with a measuring stick and found it 2" too high in some
spots and bitched about that, and they came back to us and we had to cut some more
off the fence. In any case. She ****ed off the inspectors who proceeded to get out
their rule book, notified her they were going to do a complete inspection of her
property and found all kinds of violations. Of course they told her somebody
complained (and we sure as hell didnt), but we got blamed anyway.

No city should be able to pass more than 100 laws. if they want to pass a new one,
they gotta take an old one off the books.
Every city should fund a binding mediation board composed of citizens drawn randomly
from the voting polls (or drivers license which is how jury duty is done). and
anyone with a problem with a neighbor will present the problem to the board. with a
mediation board there is no need for the endless and stupid laws passed every year.
All those laws do is take away our freedom. The bitch next door could not see that
metal rabbit fencing unless she was standing on my mothers driveway because her
property is so wild and overgrown with honeysuckle and grapes it is too thick to walk
thru. So it is the letter of the law no matter how stupid and unreasonable it is to
enforce. A mediation board would have told her to get a life.
Ingrid

"Warren" wrote:
Within three months the city council was changing the laws that referred
to bus stops.

Living
in a much smaller community, I think the council members are more
familiar with the motives behind the items put in front of them, and are
less likely to rubber-stamp some knee-jerk reaction from some bureaucrat
who wants more power to hassle someone in particular. On the other hand,
in too small of a community, one jerk can have far too much influence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
endorsements or recommendations I make.