Old 02-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Mick Fournier

Default pod abortion

Rajiv,

I don't think anyone can state for sure why your pod aborted. The reasons
vary quite a bit. The pod (and seed) could have been sterile from the
outset and the plant deliberately killed it off in order to channel plant
resources into plant development instead. You could have been working with
4th or 5th generation hybrid Phals that have simply "petered out" on their
ability to produce offspring. Cold temperatures could have caused the
problem, or simply a bug bite injected some life killing
fungus/bacteria/virus into the pod.

In the future try pollinating two flowers instead of one... there is safety
in numbers.

In my orchid breeding attempts at producing pods I think a 50% success ratio
is fair target to shoot for.

Mick