Old 02-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Vox Humana

Default Help with Bee Balm

"Jeff Hancock" wrote in message
My bee balm has fallen over. What cna I do about it? Is this a sign of

too
much N and not enough P and K? It had nice blooms forming, but the stems
fell over last night.

Since the flowers have formed, I would just put some stakes in the ground
around the perimeter of the patch and use some twine to support the plants.
Monarda tends to get leggy and fall over. You can sheer it back before it
gets too high and before it forms flower buds. That would have been about
two or three weeks ago. When you sheer it back it delays flowering but the
plants tend to remain more compact. Also, monarda will start to decline
after it flowers and powdery mildew will often infect the plants. By
sheering it back, you not only delay the flowering (to a time when there is
not as much color anyway) and keep it compact, but you delay or eliminate
the unsightly decline of the foliage. At least that is the rule for my zone
6 garden in SW Ohio.