Old 02-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] pinus contorta

At 02:38 PM 6/1/03 -0700, Colin Horn wrote:
I was at my local nurserey yesterday, and I found 1 Coast Pine(pinus
contorta) behind some other trees. It looks healthy, and I am thinking about
purchasing it. The reason I want to train it is because I go backpacking
through the Sierras quite a bit, and I always see the bristlecone pine,
which is one of the most amazing trees to see in nature. Is it true that the
coast pine, and bristlecone pine are nearly identical? Also, would a coast
pine make a good speciman? Thanks for any comments or advice. -

Colin

I think you are confusing Bristlecone pine, Pinus aristata with Lodgepole
pine, Pinus contorta latifolia. Shore pine is Pinus contorta contorta.
Obviously, Shore pine and Lodgepole pine are related. They are variants of
the same species.

I think Shore pine can make good bonsai, although the needles are a little
long and resist shortening. They do bud back nicely. Lodgepole pine is
generally problematic for bonsai, mostly because of its poor ability to bud
back on old wood.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++