Old 02-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Warren Place

Default What's chowing down on my hop plants?

On 31 May 2003, Patrick Chase wrote:
I just discovered 1/16" to 1/4" tiny green worms on my Cascade and
Fuggles in Eastern MA. They are found on the bottom of the leaves and
hang from threads (webbing) when removed. The look a bit like tiny
green inch-worms (certainly the same color) and cause the same kind of
damage you describe. I've had this problem before and it killed the
whole plant. I'm going to treat with a standard pesticide.

You might try some BT, or Bacillus thurengis (excuse the spelling,
I'm a microbiologist, but I work with yeast) it's a bacteria sold at
garden stores that kills many moth larvae.
Warren Place