Old 02-06-2003, 09:59 AM
Randall P. McMurphy

Default What's the best petrol mower for long grass ??

"gray bale" wrote in message
| Ive tried tilting mower and on the highest wheel setting, blade looks
pretty
| good to me. But all that happens is I get a swirled effect in the grass
and
| the grass is flattened. No grass appears in box.
|
| Also on the low setting, I cannot even knock the top of daisies or clover.
|
| Ive seen a guy down the road, who has a similar model, and his blade is
| blunt and chipped and it is 20 years old.
|
| With the mower turned over on its side and engine OFF, you can get hold of
| his blade and its very hard to turn, whereas mine is very easy to turn.

id still sharpen the blade. mine was doing exactly what yours is doing,
which is basically hitting the grass and bending it rather than cutting it.
short grass isn't such a problem with a blunt blade because the blade has
less grass slowing it down and so can rely on the shear speed of the blade
to slice it. long grass needs a sharp blade to cope with the heavy load and
slower cutting speed.

rpm