Old 02-06-2003, 09:59 AM
Michael Saunby

Default Drowning owls

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
news:3eda82d3$0$13728$afc38c87@vipnews...

David Hartley wrote in message
In article 3ed7d621$0$13010$afc38c87@vipnews, Christina Websell
writes

David Hartley wrote in message
. ..
In article , Oz
writes
However, there's another trough on the other side of the
barn which is equally dangerous but I can't cover as it's used by

the
cattle in the adjacent field. Has anyone any suggestions on how to

make
it safe for owls?

Make some steps in the trough at one end, using housebricks.

I haven't seen a live one in water, but I suspect a fledgling owl can't
swim at all, and so would be unlikely to find an exit ramp unless it
happened to land right by it. Still, I'll try something like this

unless
I can think of something better.

I think you will find that if a fledgling falls into deep water, it will

not
sink straight down and drown immediately, it will flounder about. In a
small area such as a trough, it is almost certain to find the ramp and
scramble out. I have various troughs and drinkers about my place too, and
had unfortunately had some baby bird fatalities until I put ramps in such

as
these. I have not had any drownings since.
I hope it works for you. Btw, if you do have a better idea, please share
it!

Has anyone found a fledgling drowned in a trough? I thought the reason
owls die in troughs and other very still water is that the attack their
reflection. Indeed one died here (an adult tawny) over the weekend
apparently after a collision with a window - probably for the same reason.

Michael Saunby