Old 02-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Dwight Sipler

Default Ground Hog

joy2wrld wrote:

Any suggestions on how to get rid of a ground hog? Thanks in advance.

Joy

Groundhogs are like a fluid. If you remove one, another will take its
place. The only way I've been able to keep a groundhog hole out of use
is to find both ends and stir the soil around it with a backhoe. Just
filling the hole doesn't work. They must leave a scent around the hole
that tells them where it is, and the next one will open it up again.

They don't like to be separated from their hole by obstacles. I've had
fairly good luck keeping them out of the garden by (1) finding all the
holes (or at least most of them) and (2) placing a fence as an obstacle
between the good stuff and their hole and (3) placing something they
like (e.g. clover) outside the garden where they can chow down without
bothering me. The fence doesn't have to completely enclose the good
stuff, just provide an obstacle to a quick exit. Fences by themselves
won't do the trick. They can climb over or burrow under them. Even if
you bury the bottom of the fence, they can find their way in. However,
if you make it too much work or danger, AND provide them with something
outside, they will be satisfied.

If you trap them, I find brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, etc.) to be the
best bait. Also, if you trap them, most states prohibit moving wild
animals, so you can't legally relocate them. You have to either dispatch
it or release it. Moreover, relocating groundhogs just transfers your
problem to someone else. Be considerate of other gardeners.