Old 02-06-2003, 12:08 PM
jane

Default snakes head fritilaria: germination

On 2 Jun 2003 08:42:38 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

~
~In article ,
writes:
~|
~| Last year some one was kind enough to put me right on how to germinate
~| some cyclamans from seed.
~|
~| This year I would like to have a go with some Snakes heads that have
~| set seed.
~|
~| I have done a google but most of the hits were just wanting to sell me
~| the plants / seeds.
~|
~| If anyone could recommend the correct treatment I would be grateful.
~
~Shake some onto the ground and ignore them - that is what I do,
~and they have semi-naturalised.
~
~As far as growing in pots, I don't know, but I would sow some in
~the summer and leave the pots out over winter, and would save
~some indoors for spring sowing. ONE of the three methods should
~work!

I tried this a couple or so years ago. Just scattered the seeds on the
surface of some compost and left the tray in a corner. When I
remembered it was there, I had a tray of what looked like grass (oh
and liverworts :-I which I 'weeded'). The bigger cormlets are now
about a cm across and the leaves are perceptively thicker. I guess in
a year or two I may well get flowering sized corms.

I may do some more this year as there are a lot of seed pods on my
mature plants.

--
jane

Mark Twain