Old 04-02-2003, 02:36 AM
Mark or Travis

Default Raised bed material options?

"Jon Noring" wrote in message

Hello,

This spring we intend to build some raised beds by our house. They
will be fairly low to the ground, about 6-8" above the ground level.
For those who'd suggest higher beds, let me say that we have our
reasons and I won't go into them here.

We originally intended to use pressure treated lumber, but have
decided we'd like something more permanent (plus we have concerns
about the toxins in the lumber.)

Thus, no wood. Period. (Don't bother even suggesting it, not even
redwood.)

Obviously, we can go the complex route and use ordinary concrete block
or brick with mortar and pour a "foundation", but this seems like
overkill. I'm not sure if using reinforced concrete "beams" make any
sense because of their weight -- we'd also need to tailor them to
specific dimensions and handling corners.

Are there any recent inventions in this area that may be what we
are looking for, such as interlocking blocks (akin to legos) by
which we can build the raised beds retainer?

Any insights here would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon Noring

I'm not sure what it's called but it's like plastic lumber and it's made
from recycled plastic. It can be nailed and cut just like regular lumber.
Try www.plasctilumberyard.com.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5