Old 02-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Vox Humana

Default garden police gone wild?

"Ann" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" expounded:

I wouldn't want to look at a chain link
fence so I would be the one reporting the violation if I were the

neighbor.
I find it interesting that your take on this is that the woman who

reported
the violation is a "bitch" but your mother who broke the law is a victim.

I find it interesting that because you don't want to see something you
think it's all right to keep someone else from doing something to
their property.

I have said many times I wouldn't live in such an area. I don't need
neighbors controlling what I do to my land. When they pay my taxes
they can have their say.

Let's back up a minute. I'm not the one who is prohibiting someone from
having a fence. In the case cited, it is a city ordinance that prohibits
the fence. The person who reports it, for what ever reason, is not the one
who determines whether the fence can stay of if it must go. Before I bought
my house I went to the county auditor's office and got a copy of the deed
restrictions. I bought the house with the understanding that there would be
architectural standards that included the prohibition of metal fences. If
someone moved in and put up a metal fence I wouldn't have any moral dilemma
about reporting the violation. I can't believe that people will spend
hundreds of thousands of dollars for a house and not even bother to inquire
what restrictions might apply to that property. I could have taken my
chances and bought into a neighborhood where there were no restrictions.
Areas like that are plentifully. There is an older neighborhood across a
ravine from me with no restrictions. The houses are surrounded by chain
link fences, cars are parked on the lawns, every lot as at least one boat or
camper, one home owner decided that it would be more convenient to throw his
old storm door over the hill rather than put it out for the trash collector.
The real victim are the homeowners themselves because the property values
are suppressed when people let their neighborhood turn into a trash pit.

I also think that it is preposterous that one would assume that just because
they bought something and pay taxes that they have an entitlement to do what
they want. That would be like saying "I paid $40K for my car and pay
license fees (taxes) so I should be able to use it exactly as I want. To
hell with traffic laws."