Old 02-06-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Trees/Preservation Orders/Shade and proximity to houses

Rod wrote:

"Mark Bridgett" wrote in message om...
In our front garden we have to rather large (estimated 70") beech
trees. The nearest of these though is 8 feet from the house. Yes, we
knew about them before we moved in, but I am really concerned about
this now.

The trees have a preservation order on them but I wondered if this was
a good enough reason to ask for permission to chop them down?

If others have been successful, is it only dead/dying trees that ever
get past our friendly councillors?

On a secondary and lesser note, we also have a very large copper beech
tree in our back garden (well it's in the neighbours) but this blocks
out nearly all our sunlight. Again, I suspect this isn't a good
enough reason, but I thought the point of TPO was for trees adding to
the visual look of the neighbourhood. Noone can see this apart from
us and the neighbours though.

Please don't get me wrong - I do like trees - I would just prefer them
to be a little further away from the house!

Problems created by felling the trees could be worse than keeping them. Chances are you aren't going to get much fresh
damage to the house for a long while - there's a good chance of getting damage from soil shrinkage if you remove them.

Surely this depends on the soil type doesn't it?

--
Chris Green )