Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Bill Brewer

Default snakes head fritilaria: germination

wrote in a message:.

This year I would like to have a go with some Snakes heads that have
set seed.

If anyone could recommend the correct treatment I would be grateful.

I always start my snakeshead seeds off in pots as they tend to get lost sown
in the open ground. Never let the seeds dry out and sow on a good compost,
covering with 1/8" of sifted soil. Keep the compost damp at all times and
place the pot/s out in a shaded part of your garden. I re-pot every year for
the first three before planting the bulbs out in their flowering positions.
They usually take four to five years to flower from seed.

Bill Brewer