Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 PM
John Teller

Default Patio & Deck Options & Costs?

Hello All,

We need to replace out 20 year old deck. We would like to have a
resonably priced, low maintenance deck or patio. We are stunned at
the number of alternatives. Ipe/Ironwood, Composite "wood" (sawdust
in a resin matrix), pavers, bricks, concrete, acid etched concrete,
stained concrete, dyed concrete, colored concrete layer on top of
plain concrete base, etc.

The bid on Ipe came in at $25/sq ft. That seemed expensive.

The bid for stained/stamped concrete came it at $18/sq ft. Also
higher than we expected.

Our deck is large (900 sq ft) with about 60 linear feet of railing.

Does anyone have any advice? Do these costs seem in line with
industry norms?

Any and all input greatly appreciated,

John