Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Cupra

Default pond, mosquitoes & DDT - potential neighbour dispute

"Jez Phillips" wrote in message =
| Hi
|=20
| Grateful for advice or to hear from anyone who has experience of =
similar
| situation.
|=20
| I have a pond in my garden. My neighbour is concerned that at dusk the =
pond
| attracts mosquitoes, which then go off to their house and bite them. I =
think
| they have suffered allergic reations to the bites.
|=20
| They have suggested spraying DDT to kill the mosquitoes.
|=20
| Here's the state of the pond:
| * No pump
| * Full of oxygenating plants & netted in winter to keep leaves out, so =
water
| not a stagnant soup
| * Full of tadpoles, pond skaters, damselflies, a few ramshorn snails, =
other
| critters
| * No sighting of mosquito larvae
|=20
| Our gardenssnip

Just had a look at a site that states that mozzies have a flying range =
of 300yds from 'home', and can breed in as little as a teaspoon of =
water!=20

I suggest the neighbours hunt around in a 300 yard radius for all =
sources of stagnant water (it'd be ironic if the source was in their =
garden!)

see:

http://tinyurl.com/d9eo

It also suggests a way of dealing with them (ecologically sound)...