Old 02-06-2003, 05:32 PM
jc

Default Whitefly sticky traps

"Frogleg" wrote in message
Our Sunday paper's gardening page had a bit about home-brew sticky
traps. Yellow material is key -- use bright yellow posterboard or
plastic from margarine tubs or, I guess, anything else bright yellow
(don't use plastic antifreeze containers, as the smell is attractive
and toxic to pets). Then paint with petroleum jelly or 90-weight gear
oil. Sounded like a good tip to me

It's the whitefly larva that damages the plants, not the winged adults.
Trapping the winged adults can help with population control but doesn't
get rid of the larva that is already on the plants under the leaves.
Nice site at
http://www.uckac.edu/whitefly/faqs_about_whiteflies.htm

Olin